Babuška Ivo (zahraniční člen)
Prof., Ing., Dr., DrSc., Dr. h. c. mult.
Born March 22, 1926 in Prague, † April 12, 2023
- Honorary member of Learned Society since 1998
Educational and professional preparation:
- 1949, Ing., 1951, Dr. Tech., Faculty of Civil Engineering, Czech Technical University;
- 1955 CSc., Institute of Mathematics (IM), Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences (CSAS), Prague;
- 1960, DrSc. (IM); 1968, Professor at Charles University.
- 1951-1953 ,Central Institute of Mathematics;
- 1955-1968, Head, Department of Constructive Methods of Mathematical Analysis, Institute of Mathematics, CSAS;
- 1968-1995, Visiting Professor and later Research Professor and Distinguished University Professor, University of Maryland at College Park (USA);
- 1995-2004, Professor, Aerospace Engineering and Engineering Mechanics, Professor, Mathematics, Senior Research Scientist, Institute for Computational Engineering and Sciences, R. Trull Chair of Engineering, University of Texas, Austin.
Membership in domestic scientific bodies:
- Since 1952 editor-in-chief, journal Applications of Mathematics (currently Honorary Editor)
- 1996-present, Honorary Member, Union of Czech Mathematicians and Physicists, etc.
Membership and positions in international organizations and societies:
- Member, editorial boards, Numerical Methods for Partial Differential Equation, Computer, Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and thirteen others.
- 1968, Czechoslovak State Prize (for Mathematics)
- 1976, Humbolt Senior US Scientist Award (Germany)
- 1994, Birkhoff Prize, American Mathematical Society and Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics 1995, J. von Neumann Medal, U.S. Association for Computational Mechanics
- 1996, Distinguished University Professor Emeritus, University of Maryland
- 1996, Doctor Honoris Causa, University of Westminster, London
- 1996, Doctor Honoris Causa, Brunel University, West London
- 1997, Doctor Honoris Causa, Charles University
- 1997, Bolzano Medal, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
- 2000,Doctor Honoris Causa, Helsinki University of Technology
- In 2002, the International Astronomical Union named asteroid No. 36030 “Babuška”.
- 2002, Fellow of the International Association of Computational Mechanics
- 2003, Member, European Academy of Sciences
- 2004, Fellow, World Innovation Foundation
- I. Babuska, F. Vycichlo, K. Rektorys, Mathematical Theories of Plane Elasticity (German), Academy Press, Berlin
- I. Babuska On randomized solution of Laplace Equation, Cas. Pest. Mat., 86, (1961), 269-276
- I. Babuška, M. Práger, E. Vitásek, Numerical Processes in Differential Equations, John Wiley and Sons, London, 1966
- I. Babuska,The Finite Element Method with Lagrangian Multipliers, Numer. Mat., 20, (1073),179-192
- I. Babuska, B.A.Szabo, N, Katz, The p-Version of the Finite Element Method, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 18, (1982), 515-545
- I. Babuska, W. C. Rheinboldt, Error Estimates for Adaptive Finite Element Computations, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 15, (1978),736- 754B.
- Szabó, I. Babuška, Finite Element Analysis, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1991 (1997), 727-758M
- M Ainsworth, I.Babuška, Reliable and robust a posteriori estimation for singularly perturbed reaction -diffusion problems, SIAM J. Numer. Anal. 36 (1998), 331-353.
- I. Babuška, B. Guo, Optimal estimates for lower and upper bounds of approximation errors in p version of the finite element method in two dimensions, Numer. Mat. 85 (2000), 219-255
- I. Babuška, T. Strouboulis, The Finite Element Method and its Reliability, Oxford Clarendon Press, 2001
- I. Babuška, P. Chatzipantelidis, On solving elliptic stochastic partial differential equations, Comput. Method s Appl. Mech. Engrg. 191 (2002), 4093-4122
- I. Babuška, J. Chleboun, Effects of Uncertainties in the Domain of the Solution of Neumann Boundary Value Problems in Two Dimensions Math. Comp. 71, (2001),1339-1370
- I. Babuska, U. Banerjee, J. Osborn. Survey of meshless and generalized Finite Element Methods: A uniform approach, Acta Numerica, Cambridge University Press, (2003), 1-125.