De Clercq Erik
Born March 28, 1941
- Member of Learned Society since 2021
Educational and professional preparation:
- 1966: graduated as Medical Doctor (MD), KU Leuven (Belgium)
- 1966-1970: specialization in Clinical Biology, KU Leuven
- 1972: graduated as Philosophical Doctor (PhD), KU Leuven
Employment and academic positions:
- 1966 – 1968: Research Assistant at Rega Institute for Medical Research (KU Leuven)
- 1968 – 1970: Senior Research Assistant at Stanford University Medical School
- 1977 – 2006: Full Professor at Faculty of Medicine, KU Leuven
- 2006 – present: Professor Emeritus with duty
- 2007 – present: teaches the course on “Biochemistry at the Service of Medicine” to Bachelor/Master students from the Universities of Česke Budějovice (Budweis) and Linz
Membership in selected domestic scientific bodies:
- Belgian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (since 1972)
- Belgian Society for Microbiology (since 1998)
- Belgian Immunological Society (since 1977)
- Infectious Diseases Society of the Netherlands and Flanders (since 1976)
Membership and positions in international organizations and societies:
- Academia Europaea (since 1989)
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (since 1969)
- American Association for Cancer Research (since 1974)
- American Association of Immunologists (since 1974)
- American Chemical Society, Division of Biological Chemistry (since 1985)
- American Chemical Society, Division of Medicinal Chemistry (since 1985)
- American Federation for Medical Research (formerly: American Federation for Clinical Research) (since 1970)
- American Society for Microbiology (since 1969)
- American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (Regular Member) (since 1982)
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene (since 1999)
- Biochemical Society (UK) (since 1981)
- European Academy of Sciences (since 2003)
- European AIDS Clinical Society (since 1999)
- European Association for Vision and Eye Research (since 1998)
- European Society for Biochemical Pharmacology (since 1977)
- European Society of Chemotherapy (Infectious Diseases) (since 1992)
- European Society of Clinical Microbiology (since 1988)
- European Society for Antiviral Research (ESAR) (since 2011)
- European Society for Clinical Virology (since 1997; corresponding member since 2001)
- European Society for Engineering and Medicine (since 1994)
- Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) (since 1982)
- HIV Medicine Association (since 2001)
- Infectious Diseases Society of America (since 1998)
- Inter-American Society for Chemotherapy (since 1985)
- International AIDS Society (since 1995)
- International Cytokine Society (since 1998)
- International Immunocompromised Host Society (since 1988)
- International Pharmaceutical Federation (since 1993)
- International Society for Antiviral Research (Founder Member of the Board of Directors of the Society in 1987; re-elected to the Board of Directors 1995, 1998)
- International Society for Immunopharmacology (since 1991)
- International Society for Infectious Diseases (since 1991)
- International Society for Interferon and Cytokine Research (since 1992)
- International Society for Nucleosides, Nucleotides and Nucleic Acids (sinds 2001)
- International Society of Chemotherapy (since 1980)
- Nederlandse Vereniging voor Microbiologie (since 1972)
- Nederlandse Vereniging voor Farmaceutische Wetenschappen (since 1988)
- New York Academy of Sciences (since 1980)
- Paul-Ehrlich-Society for Chemotherapy (since 1986)
- Society for Leukocyte Biology (formerly: Reticuloendothelial Society) (USA) (since 1970)
- Société Française de Thérapeutique et de Pharmacologie Clinique (since 1990)
- Society for Medicines Research (UK) (since 1990)
- Society for Experimental Biology and Medicine (USA) (since 1970)
- Society for General Microbiology (UK) (since 1971)
- Honorary doctor at the Universities of Ghent, Athens, Ferrara, Shandong, Prague, Česke Budějovice, Tours and Hull
- Honorary citizen of the town of Hamme (Belgium)
- Named inventor of the year (EU) in 2008
- Laureate of the Dr. Paul Janssen Prize in 2010
- International Society of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy (ISAC) Fellow (FISAC) in 2019
- De Clercq, E. & De Somer, P.
Antiviral activity of polyribocytidylic acid in cells primed with polyriboinosinic acid. Science, 173: 260-262 (1971)
- De Clercq, E., Descamps, J., De Somer, P., Barr, P.J., Jones, A.S. & Walker, R.T.
E-5-(2-Bromovinyl)-2'-deoxyuridine : a potent and selective an¬tiherpes agent.
Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA, 76: 2947-2951 (1979)
- Derynck, R., Content, J., De Clercq, E., Volckaert, G., Tavernier, J., Devos, R. & Fiers, W.
Isolation and structure of a human fibroblast interferon gene.
Nature, 285: 542-547 (1980).
- Derynck, R., Remaut, E., Saman, E., Stanssens, P., De Clercq, E., Content, J. & Fiers, W.
Expression of the human fibroblast interferon gene in Escherichia coli.
Nature, 287: 193-197 (1980)
- Content, J., De Wit, L., Pierard, D., Derynck, R., De Clercq, E. & Fiers, W.
Secretory proteins induced in human fibroblasts under conditions used for the production of interferon beta.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 79: 2768-2772 (1982)
- De Clercq, E., Holý, A., Rosenberg, I., Sakuma, T., Balzarini, J. & Maudgal, P.C.
A novel selective broad-spectrum anti-DNA virus agent.
Nature, 323: 464-467 (1986)
- Pauwels, R., Andries, K., Desmyter, J., Schols, D., Kukla, M.J., Breslin, H.J., Raey-maeckers, A., Van Gelder, J., Woestenborghs, R., Heykants, J., Schellekens, K., Janssen, M.A.C., De Clercq E. & Janssen, P.A.J.
Potent and selective inhibition of HIV-1 replication in vitro by a novel series of TIBO derivatives.
Nature, 343: 470-474 (1990)
- De Clercq, E., Yamamoto, N., Pauwels, R., Baba, M., Schols, D., Nakashima, H., Balzarini, J., Debyser, Z., Murrer, B.A., Schwartz, D., Thornton, D., Bridger, G., Fricker, S., Henson, G., Abrams, M. & Picker, D.
Potent and selective inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 and HIV-2 replication by a class of bicyclams interacting with a viral uncoating event.
Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 89: 5286-5290 (1992)
- Donzella, G.A., Schols, D., Lin, S.W., Esté, J.A., Nagashima, K.A., Maddon, P.J., Allaway, G.P., Sakmar, T.P., Henson, G., De Clercq, E. & Moore, J.P.
AMD3100, a small-molecule inhibitor of HIV-1 entry via the CXCR4 co-receptor
Nat. Med., 4: 72-77 (1998)
- De Clercq, E.
Strategies in the design of antiviral drugs.
Nat. Rev. Drug Discov., 1: 13-25 (2002)
- De Clercq, E.
The bicyclam AMD3100 story.
Nat. Rev. Drug Discov., 2: 581-587 (2003)
- De Clercq, E.
Antivirals and antiviral strategies.
Nat. Rev. Microbiol., 2: 704-720 (2004)
- De Clercq, E. & Holý, A.
Acyclic nucleoside phosphonates: a key class of antiviral drugs.
Nat. Rev. Drug Discov., 4: 928-940 (2005)
- De Clercq, E.
Antiviral agents active against influenza A viruses.
Nat. Rev. Drug Discov., 5: 1015-1025 (2006)
- De Clercq, E.
The design of drugs for HIV and HCV.
Nat. Rev. Drug Discov., 6: 1001-1018 (2007)
- Li, G.; De Clercq, E.
Therapeutic options for the 2019 novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).
Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 19, 149-150, doi:10.1038/d41573-020-00016-0 (2020)
Visit the following website: https://www.erikdeclercq.org/