The Learned Society of the Czech Republic was established on May 10, 1994 at a festive session in the Hall of Patriots of Carolinum, the original seat of the Charles University, founded 1348 in Prague. Attending were 36 members of the Foundation for the Restoration of the Learned Society who became its Founding Members. New members of the Learned Society were elected at annual general assemblies as well as honorary members according to its regulations. There were significant changes of regulations accepted in January 2015 in which category of regular members was preserved, honorary members were changed to foreign members and emeritus membership was introduced. There are 106 regular, 49 foreign members and 15 emeritus members in the Learned Society at present. The executive body of the Learned Society is its Board which consists of eight regular members.
Pursuant to Act 83/1990, the Learned Society of the Czech Republic is a civic association. Its executive body is the Council of the Society.
The Council the Executive Board of the Learned Society of the Czech Republic for the period May 2018 - May 2020
- prof. RNDr. Blanka Říhová, DrSc. (president)
- prof. Mgr. Pavel Jungwirth, DSc. (1-st vice-president)
- RNDr. Zdeněk Havlas, DrSc. (2-st vice-president)
- prof. MUDr. Michal Anděl, CSc. (scientific secretary)
- prof. RNDr. David Vokrouhlický, DrSc. (member)
- prof. RNDr. Petr Slavíček, Ph.D. (member)
- prof. MUDr. Jan Štěpán, DrSc. (member)
- prof. PhDr. František Čermák, DrSc. (member)
The Czech Learned Society is a member of the Council of Scietific Societies of the Czech Republic.
Czech university titles and degrees and their British equivalents:
|Ing., Mgr.||MSc, MA|
|PhDr., RNDr., JUDr.||no eqivalent; degrees between MSc or MA and PhD|
|Doc.||Reader / Associate Professor (US)|