M.D., Ph.D., F.R.C.P.(C), F.A.C.P., F.R.S.C., O.Q,
Born August 27, 1941 in Buczacz (formerly Poland, presently Ukraine)
- Molecular medicine, immunology, genetics
- Member of Learned Society since 2001
Educational and professional preparation:
- 1964, M.D., Charles University, Prague, Czechoslovakia
- 1968, Ph.D. (Immunogenetics), Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences, Institute of Experimental Biology and Genetics
- 1968-1970, Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Immunogenetics), Harvard Medical School
- 1970-1974, Postdoctoral Clinical Fellow (Medicine and Immunology), McGill University
- 1974-1984, Research Associate, Montreal General Hospital Research Institute
- 1985-present, Senior Scientist, Montreal General Hospital Research Institute
- 1984-present Professor, Department of Medicine, McGill University
- 1987-present Senior Physician, Montreal General Hospital
- 1987-present Professor, McGill Centre for Human Genetics
- 1988-present Director, McGill Centre for the Study of Host Resistance, Director of Research, McGill University Health Centre
Honors and awards:
- 1973 Fellowship, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (FRCPC)
- 1974 Fellowship, American College of Physicians (FACP)
- 1975 -1980 Monat Scholarship, McGill University
- 1980 Gold Medal for Excellence in Research in Medicine, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- 1980 -1983 Junior Research Scholarship, Fonds de la recherche en santé du Québec
- 1983 -1986 Senior Research Scholarship, Fonds de la recherche en santé du Québec
- 1986 -1991 Bourse de mérite exceptionnel, Fonds de la recherche en santé du Québec
- 1988 Distinguished Scientist Award, Canadian Society for Clinical Investigation
- 1988 Distinguished Visiting Professor Award, Japanese Foundation for Promotion of Cancer Research
- 1989 Alexandre-Besredka-Award, French-German Society for Immunology
- 1991 Cinader Award, Canadian Society for Immunology
- 1992 Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Award in Health Sciences, Canada Council
- 1992 Stoll-Stunkard Endowment Award, American Society of Parasitologists
- 1992 WHO/PAHO Award, World Health Organization
- 1993 Leonard Tevelson Memorial Award in Microbiology and Immunology, Temple University, Philadelphia.
- 1993 Sandoz Clinical Research Award, l'Hôtel Dieu de Montréal
- 1994 Foundation for Microbiology Award, American Society for Microbiology
- 1994 Prix Léo-Pariseau, for lifetime achievements in biology and medicine, Association canadienne-française pour l’avancement des sciences (Acfas)
- 1994 Annual Research Award, The Canadian Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- 1996 Visiting Scientist Award, INSERM-MRC, France/Canada
- 1997 Fellow, Royal Society of Canada
- 1998 Visiting Professor Award, Burroughs Wellcome, Visiting Professorship in the Basic Medical Sciences
- 1998 Ambassador by Appointment, Ambassadors' Club, Societe du Palais des Congres de Montreal
- 1999 Excellence in Research Award, Merck Frosst Canada
- 2000 Fellow, American Association of Physicians
- 2000 G.J. Mendel Honorary Medal for Outstanding Achievements in the Biological Sciences, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic
- 2001 Prix du Quebec, Government of Quebec.
- 2003 Fellow of SVU (Spolecnost pro Vedu and Umeni), Czech Society for Science and Arts
- 2004 President, International Congress of Immunology
- 2005 Fellow, Czech Learned Society (Ceska Ucena Spolecnost)
- 2005 Chevalier, l’Ordre-National du Québec
- 2005 Fellow, Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
- 2006 Master of American Academy of Physicians
Selected publications :
Author of 255 publications in the field of genetics, immunology, infections, malignant and
- Skamene, E., Gros, P., Forget, A., Kongshavn, P.A.L., St. Charles, C., and Taylor, B.A.: Genetic Regulation of Resistance to Intracellular Pathogens. Nature 297, 506-510, 1982.
- Stewart-Phillips, J.L, Lough, J., Skamene, E.: Ath-3, a new gene for atherosclerosis in the mouse. Clin. & Invest. Med. 12: 121-126, 1989.
- Cellier, M., Govoni, G., Vidal, S., Groulx, N., Liu, J., Sanchez, F., Skamene, E., Schurr, E., and Gros, P.: The human NRAMP gene: cDNA cloning, chromosomal mapping, genomic organization and tissue specific expression. J. Experimental Medicine 180: 1741-1752, 1994.
- Liu, J., Fujiwara, M, Buu, N.T., Sanchez, F., Cellier, M., Paradis, A.J., Frappier, D., Gros, P., Skamene, E., Morgan, K., and Schurr, E. Identification of polymorphisms and sequence variants in the human homologue of the mouse natural resistance-associated macrophage protein gene. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 56: 845-852, 1995.
- Beckers, M-C., Yoshida, S-I., Morgan, K., Skamene, E., and Gros, P.: Natural resistance to infection with Legionella Pneumophila: Chromosomal localization of the Lgn1 susceptibility gene. Mammalian Genome, 6: 540-545, 1995.
- Fortin, A., Belouchi, A., Tam, M-F., Cardon, L., Skamene, E., Stevenson, M.M., and Gros, P.: Genetic control of blood parasitaemia in mouse malaria maps to Chromosome 8. Nature Genetics, 17: 382-383, 1997.
- Fortin, A., Diez, E., Rochefort, D., Laroche, L., Malo, D., Rouleau, G., Gros, P., Skamene, E. Recombinant congenic strains derived from A/J and C57BL/6J: A tool for genetic dissection of complex traits. Genomics, 74:21-35, 2001.
- Casanova J, Schurr E, Abel L, Skamene E. Forward genetics of infectious diseases: immunological impact. Trends Immunol 23:469-472, 2002.
- Gardam MA, Keystone EC, Menzies R, Manners S, Skamene E, Long R, Vinh DC. Anti-tumour necrosis factor agents and tuberculosis risk: mechanisms of action and clinical management. Lancet Infectious Disease. 3:148-55, 2003.
- Buschman E, Skamene E. Linkage of leprosy susceptibility to Parkinson's disease genes. International Journal of Leprosy and Other Mycobacterial Diseases, 72:169-70, 2004.