Prof. RNDr., DrSc.
Born July 4, 1949 in Ostrava
- Mathematical physics
- Member of Learned Society since 2018
Educational and professional preparation
- 1972, M.Sc. from the Department of Mathematical Physics, Charles University
- 1977, CSc (PhD) from the same Department (submitted 1975), Thesis advisor: Professor Václav Votruba
- 1991, DrSc from the Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University
- 1992, Associate Professor, Department of Theoretical Physics, Charles University
- 1997, Full Professor, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics, Charles University
Employment and academic positions
- Professor, Center for Theoretical Study, Charles University
- Professor, Mathematics Institute, University of Warwick
- Significant (more than 6 months) visiting positions abroad: Warsaw University 1975-6, CPT-CNRS, Marseille, 1985 & 1994-5, Microsoft Research, Redmond, 1998-99, 2005, Max Planck Inst. Leipzig & TU Berlin, 2002-04
Membership in selected domestic scientific bodies
- Chairman of the state Committee for PhD theses in theoretical physics (1991-2001)
- Member of the Charles University Committee on mobility (2002-14)
Membership and positions in selected international organizations and societies
- Panel Member of ERC Starting Grants Evaluation (2007-2015)
- Member of International Association of Mathematical Physics
- Editorial Boards: Journal of Statistical Physics, Mathematical Physics Electronic Journal, Annales de l'Institut Henri Poincare D: Combinatorics, Physics and their Interactions, Vesmír
- A. von Humboldt Research Award, 2002
- Silver Medal (1st degree) of the Czech Union of Mathematicians and Physicists, 2002
- R. Dobrushin, R. Kotecký, S. Shlosman. Wulff construction: A global shape from local interaction, ix + 204 pp American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1992.
- R. Kotecký and S. B. Shlosman. First-order phase transitions in large entropy lattice models. Comm. Math. Phys. 83 (1982) 493-515.
- R. Kotecký and D. Preiss. Cluster expansion for abstract polymer models. Comm. Math. Phys 103 (1986) 491-498.
- J.-S. Wang, R.H. Swendsen, and R. Kotecký. Antiferromagnetic Potts models. Phys. Rev. Lett. 63 (1989) 109-112.
- C. Borgs and R. Kotecký. A rigorous theory of finite-size scaling at first-order phase transitions. J. Statist. Phys. 61 (1990) 79-119.
- C. Borgs and R. Kotecký. Finite-size effects at asymmetric first-order phase transitions. Phys. Rev. Lett. 68 (1992) 1734-1737.
- J. T. Chayes, L. Chayes, and R. Kotecký. The analysis of the Widom-Rowlinson model by stochastic geometric methods. Comm. Math. Phys. 172 (1995) 551-569.
- M. Biskup, L. Chayes, and R. Kotecký. On the formation/dissolution of equilibrium droplets. Europhys. Lett. 60 (2002) 21-27.
- M.Biskup and R. Kotecký. Phase coexistence of gradient Gibbs states. Probability Theory and Related Fields 139 (2007) 1-39.
- R. Kotecký, J. Salas, and A. D. Sokal. Phase transition in the 3-state Potts antiferromagnet on the diced lattice. Phys. Rev. Lett. 101 (2008) 030601
- S. Adams, R. Kotecký, S. M"uller. Finite range decomposition for families of gradient Gaussian measures. Journal of Functional Analysis 264 (2013) 169-206.
- R. Kotecký, S. Luckhaus. Nonlinear elastic free energies and gradient Young-Gibbs measures. Commun. Math. Phys. 326 (2014) 887-917.
- R. Kotecký, A. D. Sokal, and J. M. Swart. Entropy driven phase transition in low-temperature antiferromagnetic Potts models. Commun. Math. Phys. 330 (2014) 1339-1394.