Prof., MUDr., DrSc., DSc.
Born on December 28, 1944
- Molecular genetics and genomics of laboratory mice
- Member of Learned Society since 1999
Educational and professional preparation
- 1962-68, MUDr. Faculty of Medicine, Charles University, Hradec Králové;
- 1975, CSc. in genetics, Institute of Molecular Genetics, CSAS, Prague;
- 1991, DrSc. in genetics, Charles University, Prague;
- 2002, Associate Professor, molecular biology and genetics, Faculty of Science CU
- 2006, Full professor, molecular biology and genetics, Faculty of Science CU
Employment and academic positions
- 1968-present, Institute of Molecular Genetics, AS CR (originally Institute of Experimental Biology and Genetics, CSAS);
- 1980-present, Head, Department of Molecular Genetics (originally the Department of Developmental Genetics);
- 1992-1993, 1995-1996, Visiting Professor, Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey, USA
Membership in domestic scientific bodies
- 2003-present, Chairman, Commission for Granting Title of DSc. in Genetics and Genomics
- 2001-2005, Vice-Chairman, Council for Sciences AS CR
Membership and positions in selected international organizations and societies
- 1984-1991, Elected member, Internat. Committee for Standardized Mouse Genetic Nomenclature
- 1991-present, International Mammalian Genome Society
- 1998-2001, Chairman, Chromosome 17 Committee
- 1996-present, Howard Hughes Medical Institute–International Scholar
- 1999-present, European Molecular Biology Organization-Elected member
- 1998-present, Slovak Commissions for Defence of Doctoral Theses - 15-02-9, 15-01-9 and 15-16-9
- 2003-2006, Member, EMBO YIP Selection Committee
- 2003-2007, Elected member, Secretariat, International Mammalian Genome Society
- 2008 –present, member, Scientific Advisory Board, Consortium of an Integrated Genome Research Network, Max-Planck-Institute for Molecular Genetics, Berlin
- Member, editorial boards (in the past and present): Cytogenetics and Cell Genetics, Mouse Genome, Experimental and Clinical Immunogenetics, Roux Archives of Developmental Biology, Mammalian Genome, Folia Biologica.
Ad hoc reviewer for: Proceedings of National Academy of Sciences USA, Genomics, Genes and Development, Genetical Research, Genome research, Genetics, J. Andrology, Gene.
- Main organizer, international symposia: 1983, Molecular Biology of Embryonic and Teratocarcinoma Stem Cells; 1990, VIIth International Workshop of Mouse Molecular Genetics; 1996, Howard Hughes Medical Institute Conference of International Fellows- (Chairman, local organization committee), 22nd International Mouse Genome Conference, Prague, 2008.
- 1984, Prize, CSAS
- 1999, 2009, Prize, AS CR
- 2004, Gregor Mendel Medal, AS CR
- 2007-2013, Praemium Academiae, AS CR
- 2009, Prize, Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports
- Forejt, J.: Spermatogenic failure of translocation heterozygotes affected by H-2 linked gene in mouse. Nature (London) 260,143-145, 1976
- Forejt, J.: X-inactivation and its role in male sterility. In: Chromosomes Today, Vol. 8 (A.Gropp, M. D.Bennett and U. Wolf, Eds.) George Allen and Unwin, Hemel Hempstead (England) 1984, p.117-127
- Forejt, J., Gregorova, S., Dohnal, K., Nosek, J.: Gene expression of differentiated parent in teratocarcinoma cell hybrids. Repression or reprogramming? Cell Differ. 15, 129-134, 1984.
- Kralova, J., Jansa, P., Forejt, J.: A novel downstream regulatory element of the mouse H-2K b class I major histocompatibility gene. EMBO J. 11, 4591-4600,1992
- Forejt, J., Gregorova, S.: Genetic analysis of genomic imprinting: An Imprintor-1 gene controls inactivation of the paternal copy of the mouse Tme locus. Cell 70, 443-450, 1992
- Forejt, J.: Hybrid sterility in the mouse. Trend. Genet. 12, 412-417, 1996
- Forejt, J.: Nondisjuction. In: Encyclopedia of Genetics. S. Brenner and J. Miller, Eds. Academic Press, London New York, 2001, pp. 1345-1347
- Divina, P., Forejt, J.: The mouse SAGE site: database of public mouse SAGE libraries. Nucl. Acid. Res. 32, D482-D483, 2004
- Homolka, D., Ivanek, R., Capkova, J., Jansa, P., Forejt, J.: Chromosomal rearrangement interferes with meiotic X-chromosome inactivation. Genome Research 17, 1431-1437, 2007
- Gregorová, S., Divina, P., Storchova, R., Trachtulec, Z., Fotopulosova, V., Svenson, K.L., Donahue, L.R., Paigen, B., Forejt, J.: Mouse consomic strains: Exploiting genetic divergence between Mus m. musculus and Mus m. domesticus subspecies. Genome Research 18, 509-505, 2008.
- Mihola, O., Trachtulec, Z., Vlcek, C., Schimenti, J.C., Forejt, J: A mouse speciation gene encodes a meiotic Histone H3 methyltransferase. Science 323, 373—375, 2009