The Learned Society of the Czech Republic was established on May 10, 1994 at a festive session in the Hall of Patriots of Carolinum, the original seat of the Charles University, founded 1348 in Prague. Attending were 36 members of the Foundation for the Restoration of the Learned Society who became its Founding Members. New and Honorary Fellows of the Learned Society are elected at annual General Assemblies, pursuant to the Society's Statutes.
The Czech Learned Society membership is comprised of 103 Fellows and 42 Honorary Fellows. Prof. Ing. Rudolf Zahradník, DrSc. was elected the first president of the Learned Society of the Czech Republic for the period 1994 – 1997. Succeeding terms were served by Prof. MUDr. Josef Koutecký, DrSc. (1997 – 2002), Prof. PhDr. František Šmahel, DrSc. (2002 – 2004), RNDr. Jiří Grygar, CSc. (2004 – 2008) and prof. RNDr. Helena Illnerova (2008 – 2010).
Pursuant to Act 83/1990, the Learned Society of the Czech Republic is a civic association. Its executive body is the Council of the Society.
The Czech Learned Society is a member of the Council of Scietific Societies of the Czech Republic.
Czech university titles and degrees and their British equivalents:
|Ing., Mgr.||MSc, MA|
|PhDr., RNDr., JUDr.||no eqivalent; degrees between MSc or MA and PhD|
|Doc.||Reader / Associate Professor (US)|