prof., Mgr., DSc.
Born May 20, 1966 in Prague
- Computational chemistry with focus on molecular structure and dynamics of water, ions, and biomolecules.
- Member of Learned Society since 2009
Educational and professional preparation:
- M.Sc. in Physics, Charles University, Prague, Czech Rep. 1989.
- PhD. (candidate of sciences) in Computational Chemistry at J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry, Acad. Sci. of the Czech Rep., and Charles University, Prague, Czech Rep., 1993. Thesis advisor: Professor R. Zahradnik.
- Research associate at University of Geneva, Switzerland, 1991.
- Research associate at University of Fribourg, Switzerland, 1992.
- Golda Meir Postdoctoral Fellow at Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, 1994-5.
- Postdoctoral Fellow at University of California, Irvine, 1995.
- Reasearch group head at J. Heyrovsky Institute of Physical Chemistry, Prague, 1995-2003.
- Visiting researcher at University of California, Irvine, 1998.
- Visiting professor at University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 2001.
- Schonbrunn visiting professor at Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel, 2001.
- Visiting researcher at University of California, Irvine, 2004.
- Visiting professor at University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 2007.
- Visiting professor at Ecole Normale Superieure, Paris, 2010.
Employment and academic positions:
- Research group head at the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry, Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic.
- Associate professor (External Faculty) at the Charles University, Faculty of Mathematics and Physics.
Membership and positions in international organizations and societies:
- Senior Editor of Journal of Physical Chemistry of the American Chemical Society.
- Member of Editorial Board of Chemical Physics Letters.
- Hlavka Foundation Prize (1993).
- Golda Meir Postdoctoral Fellowship (1994).
- Learned Society of the Czech Republic Prize (1996).
- NATO Senior Science Fellowship (2001).
- Schonbrunn Visiting Professor (Lady Davis Fellowship) (2001).
- Annual Medal of the International Academy of Quantum Molecular Science (2001).
- Otto Wichterle Prize of the Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic (2002).
- Spiers Memorial Prize of the Royal Society for Chemistry (2008).
- Praemium Academie Prize from the Czech Academy of Sciences (2010).
- Marsalek, O.; Uhlig, F.; Frigato, T.; Schmidt, B.; Jungwirth, P.: Dynamics of Electron Localization in Warm versus Cold Water Clusters. Physical Review Letters, 114 (2010) 915.
- Slavicek, P.; Winter, B.; Faubel, M.; Bradforth, S. E.; Jungwirth, P.: Ionization energies of aqueous nucleic acids: Photoelectron spectroscopy of pyrimidine nucleosides and ab initio calculations. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 131 (2009) 6460.
- Vacha, R.; Berkowitz, M. L.; Jungwirth, P.: Molecular model of a cell plasma membrane with asymmetric multicomponent composion: Water permeation and ion effects. Biophysical Journal, 96 (2009) 44493.
- Jungwirth, P.: Ions at Aqueous Interfaces. Faraday Discussions, 141 (2009) 9.
- Lund, M.; Jungwirth, P.; Woodward, C. E.: Ion Specific Protein Assembly and Hydrophobic Surface Forces. Physical Reviews Letters, 100 (2008) 258105.
- Frigato, T.; VandeVondele J.; Schmidt, B.; Schuette, C.; Jungwirth, P.: Ab initio molecular dynamics simulation of a medium-sized water cluster anion: from an interior to a surface located excess electron via a delocalized state. Journal of Physical Chemistry A, 112 (2008) 6125.
- Lund, M.; Vacha, R.; Jungwirth, P.: Specific Ion-Binding to Macromolecules: Effects of Hydrophobicity and Ion Pairing. Langmuir, 24 (2008) 3387.
- Buch, V.; Milet, A.; Vacha, R.; Jungwirth, P.; Devlin, J. P.: Water surface is acidic. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 104 (2007) 7342.
- Vrbka, L.; Vondrasek, J.; Jagoda-Cwiklik, B.; Vacha, R.; Jungwirth, P.: Quantification and rationalization of the higher affinity of sodium over potassium to protein surface. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 103 (2006) 15440.
- Winter, B.; Weber, R.; Hertel., I. V.; Faubel, M.; Jungwirth, P.; Brown, E. C.; Bradforth, S. E.: Electron Binding Energies of Aqueous Alkali and Halide Ions: EUV Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Liquid Solutions and Combined ab initio and Molecular Dynamics Calculations. Journal of the American Chemical Society, 127 (2005) 7203.
- Knipping, E. M.; Lakin, M. J.; Foster, K. L.; Jungwirth, P.; Tobias, D. J.; Gerber, R. B.; Dabdub, D.; Finlayson-Pitts, B. J.: Experiments and simulations of ion-enhanced interfacial chemistry on aqueous NaCl aerosols. Science, 288 (2000) 301.
No events are planned